“What kind of Thanksgiving dinner is this? Where’s the turkey, Chuck? Don’t you know anything about Thanksgiving dinners? Where’s the mashed potatoes? Where’s the cranberry sauce? Where’s the pumpkin pie?” ~ Peppermint Patty
Fresh pumpkin roasting in the oven in preparation for a scrumptious pie just screams Autumn to me
Here is my favorite recipe :
2 large eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2½ cups (12.5 oz) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp table salt
- 2 Tb sugar
- 12 Tb (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup cold shortening, cut into ¼” slices
- ¼ cup vodka, cold
- ¼ cup water, cold
- Process 1½ cups flour, salt, sugar in food processer until combined, about two 1 second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just startes to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around food processor blade.
- Add remaining cup of flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4″ disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
In a large bowl, stir the pumpkin puree, eggs, salt,
granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and
evaporated milk. Pour into the unbaked pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until set.
Top your pie with roasted walnuts,pecans or chestnuts !!
Serve cold with fresh whipped cream
“Come join Love the Pie with TidyMom sponsored by Whirlpool and enter to win a new Whirlpool Range”